Sunday, February 6, 2005

New Bike

Last week On Thursday morning when I came back from an appointment in town I found a note from DHL indicating that they had attempted to deliver something. It could mean only one thing, my recently ordered Thorn Audax 853 was here! After a breathless call to DHL I realised that I would need to go and pick the bike up from the depot if I wanted to get it before the weekend. Bloody DHL wouldn't come back with the bike on Thursday and couldn't provide a guarantee of when they would have another go at delivering it, other than to say it would only be during office hours. Getting the thing from the depot was a pain in the arse as it was out in the middle of nowhere. I had to wait over an hour for a cab that would fit the huge that contained it. I should have just ridden it home!

The bike is looking all shiney and clean.

audax853/IMG_3603

The Friday commute to work was a real pleasure, the way home even more so. I don't know if this was just me, but the ride seemed to become more smooth after a few kms were on the clock. The lighting system was amazingly bright. I can't wait for a proper late-night ride!

The bike (no name just yet, suggestions accepted ...) has the following specs.
- Thorn Audax 853 frame size 595L, starburst main colour, red graphics
- Ultegra gruppo, triple front 30/42/52, crank 170mm, rear 9-Speed 12-27 cassette, STI shifters
- FSA Orbit XL2 1 1/8 aheadset
- 44cm ITM handlebar, with tan cork tape
- 135mm 12 degree Thorn stem
- Hand built wheels, front 36-hole SON dynohub, rear 36-hole Deore XT hub, both with Mavic OpenPro rims and DT spokes, wrapped with 25mm Panaracer Pasela
- Rear battery LED light
- Front light, 6 watt Lumotec round + Schmidt E6z lights mounted on front fender
- Black SKS mudguard with mud flap
- Honey coloured Brooks Swift saddle
- Cateye Cordless 7 cycle computer

I also purchased a small Carradice Overlander handlebar bag and a fairly large Carradice SQR Tour under seat bag, which will probably fit all that I need for a short credit-card supported tour.

I don't care that it's the middle of winter, I'm off on tour the next nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment