Monday, June 20, 2005

Wachtendonk 600

What a weekend! I'm glad I did it, just to know what I can do. Whether I would have done again had I had I known how difficult it was to turn out is another matter. My enthusiasm from the Tournai 600 carried me through a tiring week during which I didn't really catch up on sleep. The buzz of completing my first 600 had me wanting more. I called the Michael Koth, who organises the brevet out of Wachtendonk and committed to come. On Wednesday I found out that there was a train strike affecting all trains in the Netherlands.

I should have seen this as a sign to take the weekend off. But I didn't, I managed to cadge a lift with a colleague to the general area of Wachtendonk and cycled the rest. The problem was that I didn't arrive at the start until midnight. This meant little sleep. I spent the next 40 hours in deficit, sleeping at every opportunity.

The brevet was really tough, going through the hilly Ardennes the entire way. My GPS reckoned just under 6000 metres gained. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment