Friday, March 24, 2006

Between MuÄŸla & Kale

Today the mountains began. It took some getting used to & a lot of food. I could hardly eat enough, though on reflection it was more likely that I failed to eat at the right time & was just unable to catch up.


The road really climbed, I got above 1000m for the first time. It was also quite a deserted area. I was in need of fuel for my stove & only managed to get some by asking a farmer, who siphoned some diesel from his tractor. The crisis was entirely my own silly fault & due to inexperience. 2 weeks ago I'd purchased some kerosine for my camping stove, after initial problems due to a misconfiguration of the stove, it worked pretty well with this fuel. Even though the stove also could work with other fuels such as diesel I'd spurned many chances along the road to buy ever-present diesel, trying unsuccessfully to get more kerosine. At a certain point I passed the last petrol station, I didn't know it at the time, and there I was.

The farmer wanted to sit & chat for a while & I could hardly decline. I left as quickly as possible & continued on as the Sun set trying to find a decent camping spot off the main road. The farmer indicated that I shouldn't using the rather alarming gesture of running his finger horizontally across his throat. I don't know what the issue was, wolves, wild dogs or men or worse however I had no other choice so off I went. I found a great spot just beside a stream away from the highway. I was not visited by any nasty creatures & slept like a baby

I cycled 90km in 6 hours & 35 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment