Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Göreme

It was the coldest night of the trip so far. Fortunately my sleeping bag & liners were up to the task. In the morning the inside of my tent was covered with condensation, which froze while I cooked breakfast.

I planned to meet another guy, Maurizio Ceraldi, who was doing a similar trip to mine in Göreme. I figured that I had abovt 80km to do that day so rode South over a 1770m pass before heading North to Göreme. Going South I had wonderful views of high snow covered mountains.

As I went through the planned route I realised that I had badly miscalculated the distance, that instead of 80km I had about 120km. I got quite worried that I wouldn't arrive in Göreme until after sunset. Fortunately Maurizio had sorted out a place to stay for me.

I arrived in Göreme as the Sun was going down & could tell I'd like the place. It was in a stunning environment. The soft rock that I'd first seen in Selime was cut by weather into odd cone formations.
Many of Göreme's houses were built into these. It appeared to have a very laid back atmosphere. While it was very much a touristic place it was tastefully developed & pleasantly lacking in aggressive touts. The place was well setup for backpackers & seemed full of inexpensive restaurants etc.

I cycled 126km in 7 hours & 26 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment