Sunday, March 12, 2006

Gelibolu

A much better day in all respects. The wind hardly bothered me and was with me for quite some of the day. Like the day before it was quite warm, around 15 degrees in the middle of the day. After Bandirma the countryside became dominated by large fields of crops, there were fewer factories and as a consequence fewer trucks on the road. I was getting used to dealing with the traffic. The cars generally gave me space when it was available as did the trucks. All would honk me as they approached, which was intended as a warning. I found this useful though I had a mirror on the handlebar which allowed me a good view of the road behind. The dogs that been so annoying the day before were much less present. My legs were getting used to cycling and with this I was enjoying the cycling & scenery around. I had another encounter with Turkish hospitality while refilling my water bottles at a petrol station. I was invited inside for a tea, then to have something to eat by a truck driver. As with previous like encounters there was little or no common language but that made it no less pleasant.

I'd been aiming for the Gallipoli peninsular but didn't expect to get until the following day. However I was going so well that I figured I'd arrive at the town from where the ferry and stay there for the night. I got to the dock and found a ferry about to depart to Gelibolu, where I spent the night. It was the nicest town I'd stayed in since leaving Istanbul, with a little fishing harbour dominated by an old stone tower and surrounded by restaurants and shops. I went to the 3 hotels asking about the price and settled on the cheapest. None were expensive but I figured that I should get used to awful cheap places. This certainly was one. The carpet in my room was disgusting, as were the toilets and shower. I didn't look to closely at the sheets. The latter distinguished itself by having very dodgy lighting, I needed to twist the bare light in the shower room to get it to stay on, while it 'crackled'. Later on I went to get a haircut, which was a most amusing experience. The appearance of a foreigner was quite unexpected, and it took them some time to establish what I wanted, not because it was complex but rather that they weren't used to dealing with foreigners.

I cycled 136km in 7 hours & 55 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment