Saturday, March 25, 2006

Near Çukur

I realised how much I was in the mountains the following morning when I went over a pass & had a clear view down to a valley below. The tree cover was universally pine. Where there were no pine trees there was just rock & red earth. It was striking landscape but quite barren. The road went up to 1060m.

I dropped down to a plain, about 900m that was intensively cultivated with small town scattered across it. In the distance high mountains could be seen. When the clouds moved a lot of snow on them could be seen. In spite of this it felt like Spring, some trees were in bloom & there were lots of birds.

I crossed the plain & started climbing again, stopping in the town of Tavas to get my dinner & breakfast then continued. My presence going up & down the high streat caused quite a stir. I guess they don't get too many touring cyclists here.

As seems to be becoming normal I didn't find a camping spot until the last light of the Sun was almost gone. But the one I found was very nice, away from the highway, in a forest. As I set up camp the mist rolled in & the temperature went down to about 6 degrees Centigrade.

I cycled 88km in 6 hours & 11 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment