Thursday, March 23, 2006

Near Milas

I had wind in my face the entire day! It started during the night & was so bad that I almost ran out of matches trying to light my stove to cook breakfast.

It was also the day that the hills got longer, something that I'll need to get used to over the coming weeks. I went over 2 passes, one of 500m, the other 700m

I started the day by going to have a look at the village of Kapikiri. It had a lovely setting on the edge of Bafa Lake. In the past it had been the Greek city of Herakleia & bits of walls & other vestiges could be seen from this time. There was a picturesque castle ruin.

While wandering through the village a couple of friendly dogs started following me. Whenever I'd stop to look at something they'd wait. I hoped that they would follow me on the bike for a while once I left the village as on the way in, about 1km back, a pair of unfriendly barking chasing dogs patrolled a section of road. Unfortunately while one of them was interested to tag along he was chased off by a cow herder's dog.

The pair of barkers were where they'd been the day before, they gave chase & barked a bit. I did what I normally do & appeared to ignore them, all the while with my heart racing & wondering whether this would be the day I'd be bitten. I wasn't.

I cycled 71km in 5 hours & 40 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment