Saturday, May 13, 2006

Yazd

The day started as indulgently as the previous one, over long breakfast. I justified this on the grounds that I need to make up the weight lost earlier in the trip.

I didn't really do much today. I'd hoped to pick up a long sleeved light cotton shirt to protect my arms from the Sun during the desert crossing. I wandered around the bazaar but couldn't find anything suitable. As I'm planning to leave town the coming morning & I think it unlikely that it'll be available along the way I'll probably need to do without.

Late in the afternoon I dusted off the bike & rode out to see the Zoroastrian towers of silence on the outskirts of town. These were where recently deceased adherents to Zoroastrianism would be placed to be eaten by vultures. Zoroastrians believe that burying a dead body would poison the ground & cremation would do the same to the air. Nowadays they are buried in concrete coffins.

I cycled 0 km

No comments:

Post a Comment