Sunday, June 11, 2006

Samarqand

My long previous day meant that I could afford to relax knowing that I wouldn't be going further than Samarqand.

I'd stopped for a greasy snack & an icecream at a bazaar in Juma, yet only an hour later I was hungry again. What pleasure to have my appetite back! I thiak it was a turning point day. The previous ones I'd not enjoyed the cycling at all & was only continuing because it was the only choice. From lunchtime on I took pleasure in the countryside & in waving at the people that constantly called or whistled for my attention.

I arrived in Samarqand in the middle of the afternoon & immediately went to Bahodir B&B, the cheapest guesthouse in the Lonely Planet, it was the nicest place for quite some time. I got a cheap room with bathroom & airconditioning. There had a friendly staff, nice courtyard & provided free tea on demand. They cooked a simple cheap communal dinner at which I met again various people that I'd met earlier in the trip, including Sebastien with whom I'd cycled in Iran. I could see this would be a good base to gain some weight.

I cycled 73 km in 5 hours & 29 minutes
Total so far 6702 km in 94 days

No comments:

Post a Comment