Friday, June 2, 2006

Zahmet

I decided to take advantage of a willing lift to go right to Bairam Ali & turn this whole thing into something positive (i.e. get ahead of where I would have been had it not happened.

The trucks all left at the crack of dawn & we were in Bairam Ali by breakfast time. The driver of the truck left me at a cafй outside town which he knew well, recommending to the owner to look after me. They cooked me a huge breakfast & wouldn't accept payment.

The cafй was an interesting glimpse into the state of Turkmenistan. Clearly the owners were successful, they had a large house behind the cafe, which ajoined onto a mini-market. Inside the courtyard behind the cafй was parked a BMW. However the place had no running water, even though it was on the edge of a medium sized town.

I cycled 86 km in 6 hours & 33 minutes
Total so far 6115 km in 85 days
GPS Coordinates of end point - N 37°48.446, E 62°33.777

No comments:

Post a Comment