Monday, August 14, 2006

Naryn

I realised that my camping spot was sub-optimal. All through the evening & night trucks past by. The road surface by where I camped (but better elsewhere) was quite bad & the trucks made an awful clattering sound & shook the ground as they went across it.

It was a very long (in time) cycling day. I'd only done a few longer since the beginning of the trip. I'd hoped to get close to Naryn & cycle the rest the following day in order to meet up with Nick. However I felt good & though I didn't start early (I cooked pancakes, which took a long time) I didn't stop frequently. Most of the work was done in the 1st part of the day to cross the 3038m Dolon Pass, which was an 1100m climb spread over 60km. After the pass it was pretty much downhill all the way to Naryn.

I only arrived in Naryn because I misjudged how close it was & kept passing up camping possibilities before it. Once there I couldn't turn back. To my fortune the private tourist office that I'd expected a message would have been left for was open. To my surprise Nick & Roman were there using the Internet.

I cycled 115 km in 8 hours & 28 minutes
Total so far 9694 km in 141 days
GPS Coordinates of end point - N 41°25.480, E 76°1.748

No comments:

Post a Comment