Monday, September 18, 2006

Near Harchin

The road out of Teru was pretty bad. It was heavy going even though it was flat. Soon the road started to climb very dramatically, with the steepness came a deterioration in the road surface. This combined with the altitude had me pushing for quite a while.

We reached the top of the pass at lunch time, it had taken us 3 1/2 hours to cover 25km! There were glorious views of the Hindu Raj mountain range. The place was almost deserted, 2 cars had passed us all morning. It was hard to imagine that thousands came up for the polo tournament in July.

At the top there was a sign indicating that the road was completed in 2004. The way down was even worse than the way up. It was hard to go faster than 10 km/h down hill! One can only suppose how bad it was before. Later I was told that the previous road had been built before the partition by the British & was just fit enough for jeeps. I think I've become a bit of a wimp in the last month or so as I didn't enjoy the rough road over the pass. I'm looking forward to asphalt.

We camped behind an old farmhouse just off the highway. We were visited at dinner time by a couple of guys from the nearby village coming home from an afternoon hunting. They stopped for a chat, impressing on us that we were their (they meant of Pakistan) guests & gave us their names in case we should need help while in the area. I've almost become used to this expression of hospitality though it always gives me a feeling of warmth.

I cycled 56 km in 6 hours & 33 minutes
Total so far 11248 km in 174 days
GPS Coordinates of end point - N 36°8.963, E 72°28.558

No comments:

Post a Comment