Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Peshawar

I sleep quite poorly. I was awoken at 3:30am by a bang on my door, which I did my best to ignore. Just as I was about ready to go back to sleep it was followed up by another bang. I think this was a hotel service to give guests a chance to eat before dawn prayers & the daytime fast. I hardly slept after that.

I hadn't caught up with liquid intake after the previous long dry day. Walking around Peshawar proved to be equally long & dry. I went to investigate a part of town quite distant from my hotel so had no easily accessible haven. Unable to contemplate waiting until Sundown to drink something I had a cold drink while seated in the relative privacy of the toilet in an expensive hotel, feeling like someone with an alcohol problem. Nevertheless it was quite a relief.

As with the previous day the town transformed as the Sun set. Stalls selling food lined the streets & people were out en mass enjoying it. The atmosphere was extremely friendly. I was invited to join an Afghani man to share his dinner & later for tea with others. There was someone greeting me at every turn. With the memory of my last illness in Gilgit fading I ate & drank with gusto, having roti & beef here, rice somewhere else, sugarcane juice & pomegranate juice. All was delicious. None had any ill effect.

I cycled 0 km

No comments:

Post a Comment