Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Paularo

The great Dolomite climbs were now over. The last one didn't break the forest cover and the ones coming up, at least within Italy were all lower. Though as I was to find later in the day, this didn't make them easy.

As I dropped down I began wishing that I'd finished rather than started the tour with the climbs of the previous two days. With a famous cyclosportif taking them all every July I think I have an excuse to come back.

Though I was almost in spitting distance of Austria the contours of the land had changed. There were still high mountains but they were more distant and my road followed their bas, most of the time. However when it went up it went up brutally. Inevitably I cracked at a certain point. Fortunately the end was in sight and before long a little grit and the road had me delivered safe and sound.

The day ended suberbly, the town that fate had me arrive at with little feasable choice was quite lovely. It sat on the bank of a river and had a cluster of ancient buildings. Far enough of the beaten track to not be over run but near enough to have a campsite to cater for those who came. The best was that it had a wonderful simple osteria set in a small courtyard surrounded by old houses. I had a great meal.

I stayed at the campsite (altitude 623m) which I think is run by the municipality, the cost (4 Euros) of which only just exceded that of a large beer that I treated myself for being so smart/lucky for finding it.

GPS N 46º31.843 E 013º07.026
Total distance 116km
Total ascent 1574m
1638 kcaleries
Total time 6 hours and 34 minutes
Average speed 17.6 km/hr

No comments:

Post a Comment