Friday, July 12, 2013

Basel to Berlingen

The first day of my long weekend of cycling. The train arrival into Basel was held up for an hour and a half, apparently by a woman going into labour. Sometimes it's a nice thing that makes you late.

The route until near Schaffhausen was nice but always closer to big roads and industry. The countryside was nice but expect it to get better. It was fairly easy cycling except for the mild headwind which played with my head,  making me worry about whether I'd be able to make my objective of the round trip, cycling ask the way back into Basel.

At Schaffhausen I saw the Rhine falls which are fairly impressive,  though not overwhelming. Clearly they have been a thing to see for quite a long time. There was a youth hostel in the castle that overlooked the falls. Had it been later in the day I would have seen if they could accommodate me. As it was I wanted to go on.

The next town Stein am Rhein was lovely with lots of prettily painted buildings, making me think a little of  Alsace.

I'd hoped to go further than I did but 176km isn't too bad for the first day. I stayed in a cheap but very comfortable hotel called Adler. Their Wifi even worked in the room!

No comments:

Post a Comment