Saturday, March 11, 2006

Bandirma

In the morning I set off from the guard post of the Gendarmerie at 8am. It was heavy going, when it wasn't very hilly there was strong head wind. It was overcast but reasonably warm, around 15 degrees Centigrade. Later in the morning I was again overwhelmed by Turkish hospitality. I stopped in the village of Essence to get cup of tea and a snack. After buying a soft drink and a chocolate bar in the local shop (3m x 5m in size) the shopkeeper offered me a tea then proceeded to cut some bread, cheese & tomatoes. It totally hit the spot as I hadn't really eaten a proper breakfast.

Not long afterwards the constant up & down began to get to me. So instead of following the small roads as much as possible I dropped down to the main road to Çannakale which was on the valley floor and more or less flat. Unfortunately it was exposed to the wind, which was from the South West with quite a sting. As I was going West this made for a difficult afternoon. At times the cross wind combined with the turbulence of an oncoming truck was bad enough to almost knock me off the road. I surprised myself and cycled on until sundown. I camped just of the main road in an olive field behind a factory just South of Bandirma. It wasn't the best spot as I couldn't find any water. Though as I left the following morning I spotted a source.

I cycled 100km in 6 hours & 54 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment