Thursday, March 30, 2006

Göreme

I liked Göreme so much that I stayed an extra day. It was nice to just relax after the active rest day on Wednesday.

I went to the Göreme open air museum, which was a collection of exceptional 11th & 12th century rock cut churches in one of the many valleys around Göreme. Most of the churches were decorated, some with wonderful frescos. Unfortunately it was crowded with tour groups, which made the churches anything but peaceful. As an antidote I walked back to the village down the valley, which was blissfully unpeopled.

Later on I visited the underground city at Kaymakli. While it was impressive I found it hard to like after the magical beautiful scenery of the valleys around Göreme, with the eroded 'fairy chimneys' & rock cut habitations.

I cycled 0km

No comments:

Post a Comment